Skip to main content

VAR: The Ultimatum

 



Well, here we are the final post! This is where I will detail my final thoughts and conclusions, in a sense, as to what VAR means to football and whether it will ultimately benefit or destroy our beautiful game.

After contemplating hard over VAR looking at the major pros and cons, how it would affect Scottish football and even how similar technology has been used in other sports, I can say that my overall consensus is that VAR will benefit football in the long run.

I think VAR, however, still requires key adjustments and fine tuning. In particular, how long decisions can take to make. Key matches where the game is end-to-end can be disrupted for several minutes, which is so infuriating and can seriously affect the nature of the match. 

That being said it has the potential to vastly improve the game. As previous posts have covered, there is evidence to point it to it working. Notably, how well it works in other sports like Rugby because of how well they have adapted it over the years of having it in operation.. 

Not only this, it does ultimately help to eliminate human error from the game, which over the years has been so costly in vital matches across the world. In turn, it takes some of the pressure away from the referee and allows them a second chance almost to review their decision and change it if need be.

Therefore, after all the discussion I'll go on record to say I believe that VAR can be a good thing for football and the final decision is that it should stay.

Cheers, Leon.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VAR in Scottish Football?

This blog post concerns a topic very close to my heart and one that has been part of my life since I can remember; Scottish football. I have, along with my old man, supported Kilmarnock FC and been a season ticket holder since I was a wee guy! (4 years old). I have travelled across the country and have experienced every emotion under the sun (and snow) supporting Kilmarnock. From beating Celtic in the final of the 2012 league cup, qualifying for Europe under Steve Clarke and heartbreakingly, only last season, being relegated to the dreaded championship (2nd tier of Scottish football). So, as you can probably guess, I will be giving my humble opinion on the effects that VAR will have on Scottish football and whether or not it will improve the beautiful game over here - as it seems only inevitable that it will be introduced in the coming years. The reason Scottish football has not introduced VAR already is that the Scottish FA simply couldn't afford it. I feel this came as a blessing